[tlbuild] another rebuild for pdftex

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 14 17:47:08 CEST 2008

Karl Berry writes:

> It seems we have to rebuild for the sake of a pdf inclusion crash in
> pdftex when large files are enabled (as they were by default).

> Martin has already changed the Build script to disable largefile, so
> just doing your normal thing should suffice.

> We may be able to get the new binaries onto the DVD if we hurry :).

A couple of notes from the mips-irix perspective -- the good news is
that no special code is needed for large file support on this
platform, and that part of the binaries just worked, despite mips-irix
being big-endian.

So whatever went wrong with largefile support is related to code
changes required by platforms where it is not the default.  That it
tends to fail on big-endian platforms implies that the problem is
related to reading a 32bit quantity out of memory in which a 64bit
quantity was stored, e.g, improper casting of pointers to file offsets
or something like that.

Or, perhaps more likely, compiling some files with and others without
the proper defines for large file support.  Big-endian platforms are
better for spotting the problems related to that, but on little-endian
ones there may be subtle issues, and places where the code only
"works" because parameter passing conventions happen to work in your
favour.

The bad news is that I found that the mips-irix pdftex binaries were
broken in some other ways, related to the way the fontconfig include
paths are handled: the wrong png.h header ended up being included, and
the resulting mismatch means png image inclusion doesn't work on
mips-irix unless you use today's binaries.

In case there are questions, the error message looks like this:

pdftex 2.3gbpng.tex
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.1415926-1.40.9 (Web2C 7.5.7)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(./2.3gbpng.texlibpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

!pdfTeX error: pdftex (file ./poles.png): libpng: png_create_read_struct() fail
ed
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

--
Olaf Weber