[tlbuild] Testing net install

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 12:00:19 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 11:37:29AM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> HI Edd,
>
> again me ...
>
> On Mo, 04 Aug 2008, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > On Mo, 04 Aug 2008, Edd Barrett wrote:
> > > % ./install-tl
> > > tar --version failed (status 256): No such file or directory
> > > Output is:tar: unknown option -- -
> > > usage: tar {crtux}[014578befHhjLmOoPpqsvwXZz]
> > >            [blocking-factor | archive | replstr] [-C directory] [-I file]
> > >            [file ...]
> > >        tar {-crtux} [-014578eHhjLmOoPpqvwXZz] [-b blocking-factor]
> > >            [-C directory] [-f archive] [-I file] [-s replstr] [file ...]
> > > Couldn't set up the necessary programs.
> > > Cannot continue with installation.
> > > Please report to texlive at tug.org.
> > > ---8<---
>
> OpenBSD tar is a bummer, it does NOT support any type of help/version
> whatsoever.

It's just not GNU. Most UNIX does not use gnu tar. You will probably
have the same problem on freebsd, netbsd, hpux, irix, aix and solaris.

> At least that is what I got from the man page. Is there no
> way to actually invoke tar on openbsd to see whether it can be executed
> and then echos some information and exits with 0???

Not that I know of.

> Anyway, I have added code that tar checking is disabled on i386-openbsd.

I just checked on a solaris box:

$ tar --help
Usage: tar {c|r|t|u|x}[BDeEFhilmnopPqTvw@[0-7]][bfk][X...] [blocksize] [tarfile] [size] [exclude-file...] {file | -I include-file | -C directory file}...
$ echo $?
1

Maybe a better way to check for these tools is needed.

--

Best Regards
Edd

http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett