[tlbuild] Beamer and xelatex on todays svn

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 09:28:02 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 01:02:27AM +0100, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 24 Jul 2008, at 9:59 PM, Edd Barrett wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I went to make the final builds for Karl today on a OpenBSD-4.3 box. I
>> spoke to Jonathan in Cork about xelatex and pgf compatibility, so I
>> was
>> keen to see if it works out the box this time.
>
> Sorry I didn't get a chance to get back to you about this before you
> left, but I did try xelatex+beamer on a recent TL svn version and it
> worked fine. I know this wasn't the case in TL2007, but pgf has been
> updated since then and now handles xelatex automatically.
>
>> I tested first with pdflatex and noticed:
>>
>> ---8<---
>> Package hyperref Warning: Option `pdfpagelabels' is turned off
>> (hyperref)                because \thepage is undefined.
>>
>> Hyperref stopped early
>> ---8<---
>
> AFAIK, this is normal behavior with beamer; it doesn't do "page
> numbering" in the usual sense, and so hyperref has to skip some of its
> usual functionality.
>
>> The page links did not work on the resultant PDF.
>
> Did you try rebuilding it? I haven't checked if this is a documented
> feature, but my experience seems to be that they only work on a second
> run, after the auxiliary files have been created.

I did not, I will try when I get back after this weekend.

> The "best" fix for this would be to update your installed freetype to
> the latest release, which would be a good idea anyway because it
> includes a variety of security fixes. But obviously we can't simply
> assume everyone will do that.

FreeType is in the "base" distribution meaning that it is unlikely to be
brought up to date in a stable release. More likely they will extract
the security fixes manually and apply them to this older version.

Maybe I can tell it to use system freetype?

Im sorry about the delays in the final builds. I was hoping to do this
in cork, but the computing labs there blocked ssh (despite allowing me
to download and run putty.exe?!). I promise to get right to it on Sunday
when I return.

--

Best Regards
Edd