[tlbuild] first build for TeX Live 2008

Jukka Salmi j+tex-live at 2008.salmi.ch
Wed May 21 19:33:08 CEST 2008

Jukka Salmi --> tlbuild (2008-05-10 13:38:34 +0200):
> Hello,
>
> Karl Berry --> tlbuild (2008-05-10 01:36:44 +0200):
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I think we are close enough that it would be useful to try building some
> > binaries for TeX Live 2008 now.
> [...]
>
> I'm not sure about which operating system release I should use for
> building TL binaries.
>
> NetBSD officially supports (i.e. provides bug fixes etc. for) their
> latest release (currently NetBSD 4) and its predecessor (NetBSD 3).
> I'd probably go for the old release since you can run binaries compiled
> for it on a system running the latest release but not the other way
> round.

When not changing TL_WORKDIR and TL_CONFIGURE, TL builds succeed
(without xindy so far) for NetBSD/i386 3 and 4 (but only when building
inside chroot environments on a NetBSD-current system; building natively
on at least NetBSD 3 fails as reported some days ago).

However, some TL binaries built for NetBSD 3 don't run on NetBSD >3
because the major numbers of some libraries (libstdc++, libz) changed.

Furthermore, TL binaries depending on X libraries built on a system
running XFree86 will not run on systems running xorg and vice versa
because of different (by default) library paths.

And last but not least there's a TL package in pkgsrc-wip (I don't
know if it works, but if it doesn't I should probably spend my time
in making it work...).

Thus I doubt it makes much sense to ship NetBSD binaries with TL at
all. Any other opinions?

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: