[tlbuild] texinfo build failure... needs help2man

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon May 12 02:18:38 CEST 2008

    I'm getting build failures in utils/texinfo, and apparently need the

You mean, a failure other than help2man being run?

    line 54: help2man: command not found

I do not see why it is being run.  It was newer than texindex.c and
configure.ac, its two dependencies.  If it still happens, can you run
make -d so we can learn precisely why?

Anyway, I committed a trivial change to texindex.1 to (perhaps) stop it.

    gcc  -o hacklocaledir.so -fPIC -shared hacklocaledir.c
    powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: unrecognized option '-shared'

Argh.  I'll tell the help2man maintainer.

    Could someone commit whatever needs to be updated in utils/texinfo,
    so that the build can proceed without help2man for the rest of us?

Sorry about this.  I did everything I could (maintainer mode, blah blah)
when making the texinfo release/import to avoid this happening.  It
seems hopeless.  I am tempted to simply remove the Texinfo
sources/binaries from TL (just leave the tex files), it's pretty much
pointless since it's already available for all systems anyway and
makeinfo/info have basically nothing to do with TeX.

How frustrating.

Thanks,
Karl