[tlbuild] first build for TeX Live 2008

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 10 01:36:44 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I think we are close enough that it would be useful to try building some
binaries for TeX Live 2008 now.

I wrote down some procedures at http://tug.org/texlive/build.html,
please read and let me know if questions or problems.  It's essentially
the same as last year.

There will definitely be more changes coming (pdftex doesn't have the
pool file integrated yet, for instance), so I don't recommend committing
new binaries right away -- I haven't for i386-linux.  Mostly we want to
fix the inevitable compilation problems that crop up right away.

As I wrote on build.html, besides the main build, there is also a
one-time need to build lzma-utils (those binaries shouldn't be changing,
so we can check them in).  And there are special considerations about
enabling xindy, once you have the main build working.  Of course we'd
like to include xindy on as many platforms as possible.

I created this mailing list because I know some of you do not want to be
on the (high-traffic) main tex-live list.  So let's just keep this list
focused on the basic compilations as much as possible.

Please report how it goes, and thanks.

Karl

P.S. Unfortunately, I will be offline shortly until Sunday, so replies
from me will be delayed.