[texworks] About a certain TeXworks issue...

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 22:42:02 CEST 2020

Hi,

On 05.10.20 19:41, Wilson Guill?n Estrada wrote:
> I want to be able to Comment/Uncomment text using a keyboard shortcut,
> but TeXworks comes with a default one, “Ctrl+Shift+[“ (it changes to
> “]” for Uncomment). However, as my Windows OS uses a spanish keyboard,
> it is impossible to do that shortcut, as it requires the Shift button
> to make the “[“ and “]” symbols.
>
> Searching about this issue, found that the key combinations can be
> changed by the “config.ini” method, and I tried it (in *every*
> *possible* *way *told by the numerous websites offering that
> solution), to no avail.

The file needs to be named "shortcuts.ini" (not config.ini) and needs to
be placed in the "configuration" folder of TeXworks' resources folder.
The simplest way find the resources folder is to click on Help >
Settings and Resources...
The following two lines works for me:
actionComment=Alt+C
actionUncomment=Alt+Shift+C
(of course you can customize the shortcuts to your liking).

For a more in-depth tutorial/discussion, please have a look at the
manual (which should be included; alternatively, it's available at
https://github.com/TeXworks/manual/).

> To be honest, I don’t know if there’s any difference between the
> stand-alone TeXworks installation and the MikTeX-included TeXworks,
> but I really like this program as a TeX editor (it’s simpler than
> anyone), and this aforementioned issue is annoying, so I would like to
> have a working solution (that doesn’t involve changing the keyboard
> language each time I need to use TeXworks).

I'm happy you like TeXworks! :)

HTH