[texworks] [XeTeX] Use of BOM in XeTeX and TeXworks

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 22:39:55 CEST 2019

so 13. 7. 2019 v 22:26 odesílatel David Carlisle
<d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> napsal:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 21:21, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I received files from other users with BOM in UTF-8 ans UTF-16 and
>>
>> XeTeX correctly recognized them. Tested on Linux and Mac.
>>

> Yes sure, when I said an encoding comment was more readable I meant "more readable for humans to understand what is happening" not that software finds it easier to read the comment than a BOM.

You are right but text editors do not recognize encoding comments and
hence allow you to add UTF-8 characters to ISO 8859-1 files. BOM-aware
editors will not allow to save such a mixed file hence you will not be
able to damage the file by mistake.

> David

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz