[texworks] Mail list and other issues

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 20:26:23 CET 2019

Hi,

On 12.03.19 15:17, Iggor Ya. D. wrote:
> I work for some time with Texworks under Windows (primarily Win7 32).
> Now I have the newest version: TeXworks-win-setup-0.6.2-201704300708-git_7ecce17.exe
> While working I have encountered some issues with the program:
>
> 1. Automated mailing form the Texworks to the mail list don't work:
> mailto:texworks at tug.org?... etc  - failed due to unknown reason. Mail
> agent was setup and mailto works from Firefox (but not from command
> prompt, of course).

I can confirm this behavior, but I don't see anything wrong with the
TeXworks code so far. It uses the Qt framework to open the (generated)
mailto: link - which should work, according to the documentation
[https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qdesktopservices.html#openUrl]. Internally, I
think Qt uses ShellExecute on Windows to actually do the work, which may
work better with some mail clients than with others. But unfortunately,
none of that is in the control of the TeXworks code...

> 2. Very annoying issue:  while working with different versions of the
> same text it is almost impossible to figure out what version is opened
> (in which directory lays the current file). The only method is to try
> to save the file, but it is not so good and the user can rewrite the
> file unwillingly.

I recently changed the code to show (some) directories for files that
would otherwise be ambiguous. If all goes well, this should be in the
upcoming 0.6.3 release.

HTH