[texworks] spell check

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 23:10:57 CET 2018

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 9:34 AM Julius Hohlfeld <jkh16030 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed TeXworks 0.6.2 for windows and cannot get the spell
> checker to work. If I got to edit/spelling/ the only option is None. The
> same holds true when I go via edit/preferences/..
> Any idea how to fix this?

On the menu bar, click Help › Settings and Resources…, then click to open
the directory where TeXworks keeps its resources. There should be a couple
of directories there: “completion”, “configuration”, “templates”, and some
more.

You probably don’t have a directory named “dictionaries”, and if you do, it
doesn’t have any dictionary files inside it. Create the directory if it
doesn’t exist yet, and find some Hunspell-format dictionary files to
populate that directory with. (Dictionary files will usually be named for
the language & variant: “en_US.dic”, “en_AU.dic”; and will often also have
a second part with the same filename but the extension .aff: “en_US.aff”,
“en_AU.aff”.) A LibreOffice installation is probably a good place to find
these dictionary files to get stated with, or perhaps <
http://wordlist.aspell.net/dicts/>.

—Joel C. Salomon