[texworks] Changing the encoding of an already-open file

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 21:06:31 CEST 2018

Dear Philip,

sorry for the late reply.

On 2018-06-03 20:33, Philip Taylor wrote:
> In TeXworks, under Edit/Preferences, I can change the default encoding from UTF-8 to (e.g.,) ISO-8859-1, but there is a warning :
>
> /Note:  /These are default settings.  Changes to them will not affect windows that are already open.  Use the respective items in the "Format" menu to achieve that.

This note applies to most, but unfortunately not quite all options.

> What, please, is "the respective item in the 'Format' menu" by which to change the perceived encoding of a document already open in a TeXworks window ?

To change the encoding of an open file, you can click on the encoding
box in the windows's status bar at the bottom. By default, it should
display "UTF-8" (unless you changed that in the preferences). A relative
large list of possible encoding should open up. Note that changing the
encoding will apply to future operations (i.e., saving). To reopen an
already open document with the selected encoding, use "Reload using
selected encoding" in the same popup menu.

HTH