[texworks] Shortcuts.ini not being picked up?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 22:04:15 CEST 2018

Dear Paul,

On 2018-04-16 17:58, Paul Verschueren wrote:
> I’ve just started to use TeXworks and like it J, so I wanted to
> customise it.

Welcome to the community!

> I have various shortcuts in muscle memory so wanted to set them up in
> TeXworks.
>
> So following the “short” manual,  I created
>   <user>\TeXworks\configuration\shortcuts.ini with the line:
>
> actionComment = Ctrl+/
>
> When I start up TeXworks, select an input line, and enter Ctrl+/
> nothing happens – but when I enter Ctrl+Shift+]  the line is commented.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a few things to check/try -
the shortcut customization should normally work...

1) Make sure that you actually used the correct directory. You can find
it from the menu Help > Settings and Resources... There should be a
bunch of other files in there as well, e.g. "syntax-patterns.txt".

2) Make sure the correct shortcut is displayed in the menu (in your case
next to Format > Comment). If the old shortcut is displayed, Tw did not
recognized the customization - in that case please double-check the
directory (see 1) and the filename

3) For testing, please try other actions and other key combinations.
Again, there might be a typo. Also, if the shortcut you defined is also
used elsewhere (e.g. if you redefine actionComment as Ctrl+N (New
File)), Tw does not know which action you want and therefore does not do
anything. This case currently has no visual indication, but you should
still see the newly assigned shortcut next to the menu item.

HTH