[texworks] Problem with the "Jump to Source"

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 19:31:34 CET 2018

Hi,

On 2018-01-11 01:00, Pierre Gauthier wrote:
> I have been using TeXworks for several years and one feature that is
> extremely useful is the "Jump to Source" command that allows to go
> from the pdf to the TeX file associate with the text. But I try to use
> it now, a box opens stating that "Impossible to read the file"": No
> file name specified".. This happened to me before but then the problem
> disappeared for no apparent reason.

It seems that syncing information is available in principle, but just to
be sure:
*) Can you check that you have a .synctex or .synctex.gz file alongside
your .tex file?
*) Can you also verify that when opening the pdf for the first time, a
message flashes in the status bar reporting that same synctex file?

Apart from that, could you:
*) Try to put the tex file into a folder/path containing no spaces and
no non-ASCII (English) characters like accented characters, etc.
*) Try removing all auxiliary files and re-typesetting (for example, I
occasionally experienced syncing problems in the past when using shared
folders or folders on a cloud storage and opening the files on another
computer with different folder names)
*) Try coming up with a minimal example file for which this issue occurs
and send that (.tex, .pdf, .synctex*) to me for testing

HTH