[texworks] Editing Hebrew with inline maths or English

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Nov 6 22:07:34 CET 2016

Johannes Heck wrote:

> I'll try ;)
> For me, it was the Best choice for intermixed german/hebrew Texts, because its a clear markup for changes in the direction of the text. Without that package, i hat Problems e.g. with hyphenation/linewrapping of short hebrew (rtl) phrases within german (ltr) Paragraphen. With that package, a change of the writing direction is not just marked by a unicode-code rtl/ltr, but XeTeX (i dont know if it also works with plain LaTeX) is told that it has to typeset that given phrase rtl/ltr.
> I thought that was what Mordechai was asking for.

Ah, I see.  As I understood it, Mordechai was more concerned with getting LTR text inline rendered correctly in TeXworks when it is surrounded by RTL text  (he was already able to get it to typeset correctly with XeTeX, I believe), and the problem appeared to be that the dollar-symbol is direction-neutral and therefore does not of itself trigger the correct rendering in TeXworks.

Philip Taylor