[texworks] [XeTeX] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Mar 18 00:58:34 CET 2016

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Phil assumed that scanning the log file is time consuming and thus
> suggested configurable exit values.  But as Zdeněk already pointed
> out, scanning the log file is not time consuming at all.

Whether or not scanning the log file is time-consuming is not really my
point.  The key point is this :  only *TeX (where *TeX is any derivative
of TeX; I do not wish to suggest modifying TeX itself out of respect for
Don's wishes) /knows/ whether (e.g.,) an overfull \hbox has been
generated during a *TeX run; other utilities can try to guess (e.g., by
scanning the log file, or the DVI file, or the PDF, or whatever) but
they cannot /know/.  Therefore *TeX is the correct part of the system to
modify in order to inform subsequent utilities whether or not such an
error has occurred.

** Phil.