[texworks] Mac OS X: request for testing

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Mar 4 16:30:47 CET 2016

> On Mar 4, 2016, at 7:08 AM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 03.03.2016 09:24, Otared Kavian wrote:
>> Yes, I am using MacOS X El Capitan and I was aware of the necessity to change the path for access to the binaries of MacTex by setting it to
>>
>> 	 Library/TeX/texbin
>>
>> but I think it would be more convenient if TeXWorks could set this automatically, or at least ask the user whether he wants it to be set.
>
> OK, I have added it to the list of default paths in r. fad22c0. However,
> please note that this only affects new installations of TeXworks - once
> you run Tw and change some settings, the current binary paths you use
> are stored (and, obviously, should not be overwritten to avoid tampering
> with the user's preferences). To mimic the behavior of a new
> installation, you can rename/move/remove the settings which should be
> stored in ~/Library/TeXworks/ and restart Tw.

Howdy,

The problem really appears when El Capitan is installed since it removes the /usr/texbin link and won't let anything write (even with root privileges) directly to /usr. If anyone needs help with setting up TeXworks for Mac with El Capitan they should grab the `Updating For El Capitan' document linked at <http://www.tug.org/mactex/elcapitan.html>. You should also have a recent version of TeX Live (>=2013? I'm not sure but 2014 or 2015 installed by the MacTeX installer is best).

>> All Command combinations shortcuts (X, W, Z, V, C, for cutting, closing, undoing, pasting and copying) work fine, apart from the one I mentioned previously, Command-Q for quitting.
>
> Hm, this might be related to an old Qt bug
> (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-14174).
> Just to be sure:
> * Do you get a command to quit somewhere in the menu? If yes: does
> clicking on it work as expected? Does it display Cmd+Q as a shortcut
> next to it?
> * Does right-click on the icon in the docker(?) bar work to quit Tw?
> * Do the shortcuts Cmd+N (new) and Cmd+T (typeset) work? (I'm asking
> this because copy/paste and such are handled internally by Qt or the OS,
> whereas "new" and "typeset" are definitely Tw additions)
> * Can you download and try with the latest version from
> https://bintray.com/texworks/OSX-latest/TeXworks/_latestVersion - this
> has the same functionality, but for now is based on Qt4 until we can
> resolve these issues. So the question is: does this affect only Qt5 or
> also Qt4.
>
> Best,
> Stefan

As I said, I have no problems with Cmd-Q Quitting TeXworks with this latest build.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)