[texworks] Problem: TeXworks 0.4.6 (official) crashes

Hironobu Yamashita h.y.acetaminophen at gmail.com
Fri May 8 09:45:15 CEST 2015

Hello, TeXworks developers,

>From the version 0.4.6 of TeXworks, if a user clicks the red cross sign on
the left
upper part when the typeset procedure returns the error, TeXworks hangs.
This event can be observed only when a typeset program calls child process,
for example
"xelatex.exe" (which calls internally "xetex.exe"), and for Japanese users
using
"ptex2pdf.exe" (which calls "platex.exe" and "dvipdfmx.exe" successively).

You can reproduce this problem using a simple XeLaTeX source:
-----
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\x
\end{document}
-----
and typesetting with xelatex.exe.

I've tested two official versions on Windows, and TeXworks 0.4.6 could not
kill child
process properly...
-0.4.6 (official) r.c29723a -> crashed
-0.4.5 r1280 (official)     -> expected

>From our build experiment, it seems that this behavior comes from version
of Qt library
(not TeXworks source itself):
-TeXworks 0.5 (dev) + Qt5.3       -> expected
-TeXworks 0.5 (dev) + Qt5.1       -> crashed
-TeXworks 0.4.6 + Qt5.1 (current) -> crashed

Could you rebuild & redistribute TeXworks with Qt5.3?

Thank you in advance,
Hironobu Yamashita