[texworks] A request about lpeg

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 20:45:14 CET 2014

Hi,

On 23.12.2014 16:59, Christophe Devalland wrote:
> I've already tried to add a lpeg.dll file (that I compiled against
> lua5.2) into the texworks directory but I had an error.
> With your latest release (r1390) I have the same lua5.2's error :
> "multiple Lua VMs detected". But there is no crash.

Yes. This happened with the old build system (which still statically
linked lua). The new system is used only from r1391 onwards (which I
just uploaded).

> Other users had this error and solved it :
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14213559/lua5-2s-error-multiple-lua-vms-detected
> If I understand, you statically included lua5.2 library in
> texworks.exe and lpeg.dll call lua52.dll, so there is now two lua engines.
> There are probably two ways to solve this issue :
> 1) statically include lpeg.dll in teworks ! (only 40KB when I compile
> it and, as you said, very usefull to parse expressions with texworks !)

Yes, I considered this, but it's not very scalable (in case other users
start requesting other modules, etc.).

> 2) dynamically link texworks.exe against lua52.dll, then there will be
> only one lua engine for both texworks.exe and lpeg.dll. But you would
> have to add lua52.dll in your package.

That's the path I chose.

>     Note that it should in principle be possible to use other modules as
>     well, but I don't know exactly about the possible compatibility issues
>     (e.g., does it need to be compiled with the same compiler? Does it
>     need
>     to be the same Lua version?). I tried briefly with some
>     precompiled Lua
>     5.1 libraries I got off the internet which caused Tw to crash.
>

> idem for me. You used lua52 for texworks (isn't it ?) and it crash
> with a lua51 dll

Yes, it's Lua 5.2.2 for the Windows builds at the moment.

Kind regards,