[texworks] How do I install URW Garamond No.8 fonts in Texworks 0.4.4 under Windows 8?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri May 30 02:01:44 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-29 at 22:53:08 +0200, Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:

 > However, have a look at the following page
 >
 > http://www.tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/
 >
 > It's a script that does all the tasks to get the fonts working with
 > atleast TeX Live.

Since MacTeX is based on TeX Live, getnonfreefonts should work there
too.  MiKTeX is definitely not supported, mainly for technical reasons.

On the other hand, since MiKTeX installs all packages from the
internet anyway, I would expect that MiKTeX provides these fonts
already.  The sole purpose of getnonfreefonts is to allow TeX Live
users to install fonts which cannot be shipped on a CD/DVD (because
money is charged for the distribution).  MiKTeX doesn't suffer from
this restriction, AFAIK.

On 2014-05-29 at 11:39:53 -0500, Dave LeBlond wrote:

> I have been told that installation of fonts into Tex can be a black
> hole filled with death. I am trying to avoid the death part.

Believe me, the death part is the most interesting one. :)

If you are using TeX Live and need URW Garamond No.8, you are in luck
and can use getnonfreefonts[-sys] in order to install the fonts
conveniently, as Uwe already pointed out.

getnonfreefonts also provides the garamondx package provided by
Michael Sharpe.  It provides real smallcaps and oldstyle numbers for
URW Garamond No.8 and thus is a big improvement.  IMO Garamond with
faked smallcaps is quite useless.  You can run

  texdox garamondx

after installation.

> I have tried following various ÒinstructionsÓ, but none of the
> directory names mentioned (e.g., ÒlocaltexmfÓ)appear to be present
> anywhere on my computer. I donÕt know where to put the 12 or so
> files.

Not necessary to know at all if you are using getnonfreefonts.

If you are intrested though, run

  getnonfreefonts --help
  getnonfreefonts-sys --help

and you'll see at the bottom of the messages where these fonts would
be installed.  A system-wide installation is *definitely* preferred.

In general, there are two directories where you can install your
private files.  These directories are not touched by the TeX
distribution you are using.  You can determine these directories on
the command line:

  kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFHOME
  kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFLOCAL

AFAIK the commands above work on both, TeX Live and MiKTeX.

David, if you have further questions, please tell us whether you are
using TeX Live or MiKTeX.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25