[texworks] &body= ----- configuration info ----- TeXworks version : 0.4.5r1280 (MiKTeX 2.9) Install location : C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/miktex/bin/miktex-texworks.exe Library path : C:/Users/gilles.courret/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/TeXworks/0.4\ pdfTe

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 6 17:39:37 CET 2014

On Feb 6, 2014, at 10:22 AM, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> Gilles --
>
> "letter.tex" is not a part of TeXworks, nor is "the resulting
> message" adequate to identify the probable cause of your problem.
> I would suggest asking on the mailing list(s) pertinent to
> your TeX distribution (e.g., TeX Live, MikTeX, ...).
>
> Philip Taylor
> --------
> Courret Gilles wrote:
>> The template letter.tex is not working. No PDF is output. An error
>> occurs at compilation. Here is the resulting message:
>>
>> 1.19 \closing{}
>>
>>                 % eg Regards.
>>
>> Any help is welcome!
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Gilles Courret

Howdy,

There is a letter.tex in the templates folder for TeXworks. It's purely a skeleton and has no entry for most items. If you attempt to typeset the letter.tex template you get the error

./letter.tex:19: LaTeX Error: There's no line here to end.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.19 \closing{}
                % eg Regards,
?

i.e., the error is located at the \closing{} command but it actually is `no line to end here'. I'd guess that there is an attempt to break a line when still in vertical mode.

Of course this is really worthless since the template is meant to have some content to the letter and also things like \name, \closing, etc. filled in to make an actual letter.

Finally, this, of course, has nothing to do with TeXworks but rather an understanding of TeX and that a template is not a document.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)