[texworks] TeXWorks, adding tool: problem with path

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 11:31:22 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am 2013-10-08 15:21, schrieb Matthieu Stigler:
> I am using TeXworks and trying to add another "typesetter" knitr, a
> mix of R code embedded in Latex. Some people have been sucessful at
> doing it, see:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/85154/knitr-with-texworks
> http://yihui.name/knitr/demo/editors/
>
> However, when trying to do the same, I inevitably end up with the message:
> The system cannot find the path specified.
>
> This comes from the fact probably that I did not add the path to
> Rscript as global variable, but I thought that either entering the
> full path in the typesetting tools, or entering the path to Rscript in
> the window above (Path for tex...) that would work, but no...
>
> So my question:
> 1) To what does the message "The system cannot find the path
> specified." exactly refer? Can I have a more verbose output, so that I
> can see exactly which path it tries?

I think this is a problem outside TeXworks. If TeXworks doesn't find a
program, it should display a dialog box saying "The program ... was not
found", together with the directories searched. So I would assume the
program you specified (Rscript.exe?) was started, but had a problem at
runtime.
I would therefore suggest you try running the program manually from the
command prompt (from the directory your tex file resides in) and try to
get that to work as that's essentially what TeXworks does.

> 2) I see in pref/typeset path to tex that all path use the backslash
> \, however when I enter it with the browse function I get slashes /,
> could that explain the problem?

This is a cross-platform peculiarity of Qt. The default paths on Windows
are specified with \, but the browse dialog returns paths with /. Qt is
able to mix them.

HTH