[texworks] some questions about TeXworks

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Apr 20 01:37:11 CEST 2013

崔磊 wrote:

> Dear developer of TeXworks,

> I am a user of TeXworks from China and I really enjoy the convenience
> of editing TeXworks has brought to me! So I appreciate your efforts
> of developing such a wonderful software. But I have confronted two
> problems these days. First, when I use TeXworks to compile a file
> that contains both English and Chinese, the Chinese in the file
> cannot be shown on the PDF on the right side.

This should not happen.  I generate my Christmas card address labels
using TeXworks and XeTeX, and the address list contains addresses
in many languages including Thai and Chinese.  All typeset perfectly
and appear in the PDF on the right hand side.  As my TeX source is
complex, there is no point in including it here, so instead I just
include a short fragment that should be sufficient to get you
started typesetting mixed English and Chinese :

% !TeX Program = XeTeX
\magnification \magstep 1
\hsize = 210 true mm
\vsize = 297 true mm
\pdfpagewidth = \hsize
\pdfpageheight = \vsize
\advance \hsize by -2 true in
\advance \vsize by -2 true in
\parindent = 0 pt

\font \bodyfont = "Arial Unicode MS:mapping=tex-text"
\bodyfont

\def \\{; }

200083\\中国上海中山北一路310弄2号402室\\安挪亚\\CHINA

118/34/9 Liên Khu 5-6\\Bình Hưng Hòa B - Bình Tân\\TP. Hồ Chí Minh\\Việt
Nam

1402 คอนโดมิเนียม\\335/118 หมู่ 1,   นาจอมเทียน\\สัตหีบ,   ชลบุรี\\THAILAND

\end

> Second, I am trying to use the spelling check function of TeXworks
> and followed the instruction on your
> website:Edit→Spelling→<language>, however, under the item of
> language. I cannot find anything. It shows 'none' there. So do I have
> to install a dictionary? Where can I find one? I am an art student
> who is not quite familiar with computers. So would you give me the
> instructions to solve the two questions above step by step? Thank you
> very much for you help.

I get the same, and regret I cannot help there.
Philip Taylor