[texworks] Strange and annoying window focusing problem

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:38:45 CET 2013

Hi,

On 2012-12-28 21:15, David Woodfall wrote:
> On (19:39 28/12/12), David Woodfall <dave at dawoodfall.net> put forth
> the proposition:
>> On (17:49 28/12/12), Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> put forth
>> the proposition:
>>> Hi,

>>> sorry to hear about your problem. AFAIK, there is nothing special in
>>> the
>>> Tw-specific code to cause such a behavior. Maybe it's a problem in the
>>> Qt library (which we use to create the interface, including the menu)?
>>
>> These are my Qt packages. Could be that mixing the qt3 and qt4 is a
>> problem
>>
>> /var/log/packages/qt-4.8.2-x86_64-4
>> /var/log/packages/qt-compat32-4.8.2-x86_64-4compat32
>> /var/log/packages/qt3-3.3.8b-i486-opt1
>
> I've made a patch which basically cuts out anything I could find
> concerning focus. It'll be a while until I need to actually write
> anything again so I can't really test at the moment. I'll let you know
> if there's any improvement.

Thanks for the work. A few random comments:
 * "Follow focus" should not be responsible, at it is designed to keep
the cursor/selection in the preview window sync'd to the cursor in the
editor window. It should not have anything to do with the menu.
 * Mixing Qt versions is probably not the best of ideas, but IMHO should
not cause any severe problems (assuming they are both installed
independently properly)
 * Window-related things (including menus and such) are typically out of
control of the end user code (i.e., the code of Tw). They are handled by
Qt (and on an even lower level by the window manager, of course).

Cheers,