[texworks] ConTeXt (pdfTeX) and PSTricks

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 02:24:40 CET 2013

Hello,
** Juan Leal [2013-01-20 16:37:30 -0430]:

> Hi everybody out there.
Welcome,

> Sorry if I am out of topic; it is my first post to this list. As
> you'll see, English is not my first language and I am not quite an
> expert in TeX things.

> I have installed MiKTeX 2.9 and I am trying to use TeXworks to
> compile some .tex samples I received.

> 1) One of them requires ConTeXt (pdfTeX), but a message says that
> texexec.exe is not found. Does MiKTeX 2.9 include this engine? If
> not, could you please tell me how to obtain and install it?

The ConTeXt has two "formats": MarkII (mkii) which can use xetex and
pdftex engines and MarkIV (mkiv) that uses luatex. I'm not sure about
MiKTeX but TeX Live provides support for both.

> 2) Another is wrote for LaTeX but has some plain TeX instructions in
> the preamble and  neither pdfLaTeX, nor pdfTeX, read them. What TeX
> engine should I use?

You should not use plain TeX macros in LaTeX, use LaTeX one. This is
merely a recommendation. Without real example no one can help you.

As a thumb rule: if you document has `\documentclass' command it must be
typeset with the help of `latex' engine (there are three of them:
pdflatex, xelatex and lualatex). At first I recommend to use pdflatex or
lualatex.

> 3) Is it possible to compile PSTricks commands with pdfLaTeX? . What
> TeX engine should I use?

The simple answer: yes. The devil is in the details. At first look on
this page:
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/AdvancedTypesettingTools
Also take a look on PSTricks page:
http://tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi/
esp. "Frequently done errors ... "

Long answer: PSTricks package uses PostScript commands (language
actually) to draw a figure, so it assumes that the next processing tool
understand PS. This is usually true for latex engine when it works in
conjunction with dvips, so the usual workflow is following:
tex -> dvi -> ps [ -> pdf ]
  latex   dvips  [ ps2pdf ]

So, if you only interested in to get in the end the pdf file then you
can configure TeXWorks as scheme suggested.

However, there is package `auto-pst-pdf' which (in theory, I didn't
manage to work it on simple example) should make use PSTricks with
pdflatex as simple as with latex.

> Thanks.

> Juan M. Leal G.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
<pv2b> oh, besides, whats the best approach if i want to make a Quake
       level designed from an existing building?