[texworks] LaTeX syntax color coding

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 17:53:09 CET 2012

Hi,

On 2012-12-05 21:06, Chris Klich wrote:
> I've recently just been starting to learn LaTeX using the TeXworks
> editor and it seems it is not color-coding my .tex file for LaTeX
> syntax, even though it says it should be in the preferences.  However,
> it does seem to be color-coding properly in my .bib file.  Does anyone
> know why this may be?  It would be very helpful if I could get it
> color-coded so the LaTeX commands stand out from the normal text.

Some questions/suggestions/comments on this:

*) The preferences only set the defaults. The settings for particular
files are stored separately (for the most recently used files, anyway)
in case the user overrides the settings for some particular file. I know
that this might be counter-intuitive, but I haven't figured out a
better, consistent, and backwards-compatible way to do this, yet. So if
you are always working with the same file, you could check out the
"Format > Syntax Coloring" menu. Those are the settings for the current
file. If setting that to LaTeX doesn't work, there probably is something
wrong. In that case, could you send me your file?

*) AFAIK, there currently are no specific BiBTeX coloring
specifications. So chances are that Tw is just using the LaTeX coloring
scheme for the .bib files as well (as you stated that "LaTeX" is set as
default). I guess this works well enough, but I just wanted to point out
that this is not BiBTeX-specific in case you wonder about this in the
future.

HTH