[texworks] Message from TeXworks user

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Apr 24 23:18:35 CEST 2012

On Apr 24, 2012, at 2:09 AM, Aida Kazagic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with referances. I have only two referances in my document so I have made a referance list using \bibitem and not bibtex. When I run the "pdfLatex+makeindex+bibtex" from the scroll down menu I get an error massage from latex that I have undefined referances. I do not know why this is the case. This is my bibliography list:
>
> ---------------
> \begin{thebibliography}{9}
>
> \bibitem{finn} Hansen, Finn Knut (2012): \emph {KJM5500 - Forelesningsnotater del 1}, Universitetet i Oslo, Våren 2012
>
> \bibitem{lab} Ukjent: \emph {KJM5500 - Laboppgave 1}, Universitetet i Oslo, Våren 2012
>
> \end{thebibliography}
> -----------------
>
> What am I doing wrong? I hope that you have time to answer me since I have to hand in my report in a few days time.
>
> Best regards,
> Aida

Howdy,

You need to run pdflatex two more times after the initial first run:

pdflatex
makeindex
bibtex
pdflatex
pdflatex

(do you really have an index?) should do that. The extra runs of pdflatex first add the bibliography (and index) to the document and the second extra run fixes up cross references.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)