[texworks] message from TeXworks user re showing of quotes

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Apr 5 21:42:39 CEST 2012

On 2012-04-05 at 15:59:18 +0100, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 > I'm not entirely convinced that I understand
 > the question, but if I do, then it might be
 > worth checking TeXwork's
 >
 > 	Edit /Preferences / Smart quotes
 >
 > setting.  But perhaps you could clarify :
 > are you concerned about getting the "correct"
 > rendering of single quotes whilst editing,
 > or in the final typeset document ?

Hmm, as far as I understand the question, it's about the undesirable
typographic quotes in computer code (verbatim environments) which
Computer Modern Typewriter fonts are using by default.

There is a LaTeX package called "upquote", which replaces the "comma
quotes" by those you see in a text editor or a terminal.  It's
sufficient to say

  \usepackage{upquotes}

Unfortunately this solution is quite LaTeX specific and even doesn't
work with LaTeX .dtx files.  A more general solution is to provide
additional encoding files for typewriter fonts.  You have to replace

  /quoteleft  ==> /grave
  /quoteright ==> /quotesingle

and rename the modified files.  I usually activate them in
pdfTeX/LuaTeX with \pdfmapline, for instance

  \pdfmapline{=rm-lmtt10 LMMono10-Regular <upquotes.enc <lmtt10.pfb

where upquotes.enc is the modified encoding file.

Regards,
  Reinhard

 > Philip Taylor
 > --------
 > Ian Balchin wrote:
 >
 > > I have just started using Texworks, and am preparing a document
 > > with code examples in.
 > >
 > > I have studied the pdf 'Not so short introduction to latex'
 > > noting the comments on quoting and note that even that document
 > > does not show single quotes correctly as shown in my terminal -
 > > as single vertical dashes rather than in comma style. The
 > > authors make a note of this even. Double quotes show fine as
 > > double vertical dashes.
 > >
 > > Whether I do the code examples as texttt or as verbatim makes no
 > > difference to the appearance of the single quotes, is there a
 > > solution?

Marschnerstr. 25