[texworks] question on local TEXMFHOME

Tim Arnold jtim.arnold at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:42:44 CEST 2012

Hi,
This isn't a bug, I just have a misunderstanding. I'm on Windows 7,
using TeXworks (0.4.3 r.858) and I have a locally written package
'mypackage'.
When I give this command in a command window:
c:> kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFHOME
I get the response:
c:\Users\tim\texmf

So I put mypackage.sty in that directory and it is not found when I
compile my document in TeXworks.

But when I create the correct (?) subdirectories like this:

c:\Users\tim\texmf\tex\latex\mypackage

and put mypackage.sty in the mypackage subdirectory, it is found when
I compile in TeXworks.

My question is why the package is not found when I put it at the top
level but it is once I create the tree structure.

If this is off-topic for the list, I apologize; I'm not sure if this
is TeXworks or TeX itself.

thanks for any hints,

--Tim Arnold