[texworks] The future of TeXworks + how you can help

Stefan Löffler stefan.loeffler at tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 12 10:09:14 CET 2012

Hi all,

after Paul's recent mails regarding the future (and funding), I thought
it would be a good idea to make the development process and envisaged
future for TeXworks more transparent. To that end, I've created a
roadmap on the wiki (http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/Roadmap)
that documents the targets plan for the next couple of stable releases.
It does not give an exhaustive list and is only a tentative one, but it
should hopefully give an impression what we are planning to do, and when
you can expect to see it.

Another point that was raised was the low number of (C++) programmers
currently involved in the project. Funded or not (this is still
debated), I think that in order to attract new coders, we should offer
some well-defined projects so prospective programmers get an idea what
is in the queue and get some pointers where to start. I've put up such a
list of ideas on the wiki, too
(http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/IdeasAndProjects). So if you
have some knowledge of/experience with C++ and want to get involved (or
know someone else who might be interested), that is a good place to
start. [1] Please spread the word.

Cheers,
Stefan

[1] Another good place is the issue tracker, of course. Since we are in
the middle of some rather large restructuring of the code base, however,
working on the projects outlined in the wiki is probably the better
alternative as they are designed to fit into the restructuring process
(and will solve many outstanding issues on-the-fly).