[texworks] Deleting bbl as an Aux file

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:50:09 CET 2012

Hi,

On 2012-01-28 19:57, Colin McLarty wrote:
> I switched from another front end to TeXworks a few years ago, and it
> is working well for me.  But it would be very helpful if the Remove
> Aux Files command would delete the bbl.
>
> Every time I have a problem generated by an aux file, it is the bbl
> file.  Then I have to go to the Open File command, and go to the
> display box to select "Auxiliary files," and find the offending bbl
> and delete it.  So "Open File" considers bbls as auxiliary files.  I
> wish Remove Aux Files would too.
>
> Is there a way I can easily modify the Remove command to make it include bbl?

Yes. You can add the following line to the file
<resources>/configuration/texworks-config.txt:
cleanup-patterns:    $jobname.bbl

For finding the resources director, please have a look at
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/TipsAndTricks#Locating_and_customizing_TeXworks_resources
(as that is system-dependent).

Putting this topic up for broader discussion, I'd be interested to hear
what people on this list think about adding .bbl files to the "remove
auxiliary files" list by default. I usually get them from BiBTeX, but
are there workflows where they are not generated automatically during
typesetting (e.g., written by hand, or produced by other applications
that are not usually run together with LaTeX)? If so, it would be bad to
offer to delete them by default, otherwise it might be worthwhile.

Cheers,