[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.3 : where is the transcript file

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 07:51:04 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-11-13 16:52, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> There would appear to be a more serious problem.
> If I /do/ open the log file in TeXworks, the next
> run then behaves anomalously and an empty log file
> (or perhaps no log file) is produced. WinEDT appears
> to circumvent this problem by closing input files
> once they are on-screen; it can then detect that
> "the file in the current window has been modified
> by another application", and ask "Do you want to
> update the window from <log file location> ?"

TeXworks does exactly the same - with one difference: the question only
pops up if the document in question (in your case: the log) was modified
(i.e., if the reloading could cause data loss). In cases where the
document is not modified, it is reloaded automatically.

The idea behind this was that users would always want to see (and work
on) the latest version of the document, to avoid data loss when saving a
modified old version over an externally updated newer version.
Admittedly, this was not designed for viewing (as opposed to (possibly)
modifying) external files that might change frequently.

Cheers,