[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.3 : where is the transcript file

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Nov 13 04:25:25 CET 2011

On 2011-11-12 at 16:19:11 -0800, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:

 > On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
 >

 > > Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
 > >
 > >  If TeXworks is missing something you find necessary, feel free to add to
 > >> the source code or write a script that fills the gap.
 > >>

 > > I am a TeXworks user, Charlie, not a TeXworks developer --
 > > my skills (if I have any) lie in writing TeX code, HTML
 > > & CSS, none of which would allow me to add functionality
 > > to TeXworks.
 > >
 > > Philip Taylor
 > >

 > I'm just a TeXworks user as well---I do some development work because I
 > want to have stable Mac builds and a better PDF viewer.
 >
 > Since you have experience working with HTML, perhaps you know a bit of
 > JavaScript. In that case, you could write a script for TeXworks that adds
 > the feature you want without having to know about C++ or compiling things
 > from source:
 >
 > // TeXworksScript
 > // Title: Open TeX logfile
 > // Author: Charlie Sharpsteen
 > // Version: 0.1
 > // Date: 2011-11-12
 > // Script-Type: standalone
 >
 > logfileName = TW.target.fileName.replace(RegExp('\.(tex\|pdf)$'), '.log');
 > TW.app.openFileFromScript(logfileName, TW);
 >
 > undefined;
 >

 > Whenever I see someone make a statement like "I'm
 > surprised/confused/angry that (open source project x) doesn't have
 > (feature in product y)" I can't help but think of the old proverb:
 >
 >   Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.Teach a man to fish
 > and you feed him for a lifetime.

Sure, but if you teach Phil to fish, it's fine for Phil.  It doesn't
solve the problem for other people.

As I mentioned in my previous mail, I'm convinced that it's wrong that
TeXworks currently disregards the importance of .log files completely.
It's also wrong to assume that each user has to write a script in
order to make .log files accessible.

Isn't TeXworks supposed to lower the barrier?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25