[texworks] Wishlist for pdf previewer

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Nov 4 10:02:42 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Paul A Norman <paul.a.norman at gmail.com>wrote:

> A " given rectangle " would be an enormous bonus (thought that would be
> some time off), but a straight page dump would be more than adequate even
> as a first step.
>
> Thinking of just whole page, perhaps rendered to QImage (in  memory?) as
> the target, looks like it can work out format for save on file dialogue
> requested extension if no format is specified.
>
>  Bool*save <http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/qimage.html#save>* ( const
> QString & *fileName*, const char * *format* = 0, int *quality* = -1 )
> const
> "If *format* is 0, QImage <http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/qimage.html> will
> attempt to guess the format by looking at *fileName*'s suffix. "
>
> Makes it all a bit more painless perhaps?
>
> Paul

Pages are no longer rendered as a single image---they are split into a set
of tiles (each a separate image) for efficiency. A US letter-sized page
spans 2 tiles at 100% magnification. `render` may be the easiest method
because it triggers the code required to gather the required tiles and fuse
them into a single image.

Saving a whole page, or user-defined subsections would be pretty easy to do
but both tasks would require writing additional code. At this point I am
inclined to hold off on writing new code to focus on debugging and
polishing the code that is already written so that it can be merged back
into the TeXworks trunk.

-Charlie