[texworks] Drop of Python scripting support

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 00:06:55 CET 2011

If I could add just a little to what Rheinhard has already explained really
really well, everything is script, its just whether it is OS order script
compiled into making a binary .so .exe etc or script being interpreted on
the fly when that exe is being run.

As already shared, when script can be interpreted on the fly, it does not
have to be incorporated into the main exe which is extremely efficient for
project development cycles and requires less main code to be maintained.

So your web browser will show you web pages that likely sit on the bedrock
of the Java or C/C++ code but in a ginormous number of cases, your web page
would not work unless interpreted -(out side the .exe)- script code was
running for you behind the scenes.

Intelligent careful design of compiled script allows valuably for less
overall/longterm C++ development work, when that design allows
extensions through non-compiled run-time built plug-ins
(additional windows, toolbars, menus, and other features) as well
as  scripting engines which can even interact with the host OS- which often
lets other code be re-used as well.

In TeXworks, your error log  is actually produced by a script when the
typesetting is finished, and that is one of the features you listed as
being valuable to you Phil, and it is done by a QtScript!

In TeXworks a non C++ developer  was able to make a very small help towards
the eventual advancement of sorting out a problem with the log
window, because it is written in script.

It all allows for the grand concept of distributed development
workload, and recycling instead of the new-writing of code and a wider set
of libraries.

So Scripts are already working for you in TeXworks whether you know it or
not :)

Paul