[texworks] Problem with errors in beamer

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:04:20 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-10-21 19:34, Ignasi Furió wrote:
> I use TeXworks to prepare my class presentations with beamer but when
> I make a mistake (something which happens frequently)
> aux files remain corrupted and I need to delete them before a new
> typesetting.
>
> I've read somewhere this happens because some files are not 'closed'
> due to TeXworks error processing.
> In fact, if I use the command line to typeset same erroneous file I
> can process them without any problem (of course I get same error and
> no results, but after correcting error I don't need to delete aux
> files to obtain a good pdf).
>
> Do you have same problem? Do you think it's easy to solve? Should I
> fill a wishlist issue?

I haven't (frequently) had this problem so far.
Your explanation with improperly closed files seems very plausible to
me, though, _if_ the error occurs while TeX is writing to said file
_and_ you use the red button to abort typesetting. What that button does
is to kill the TeX process very abruptly - pretty much like `kill` on
Mac/Linux or `End Process` on Windows. Consequently, files are not
closed properly. As an alternative, you could try to use the command
line below the output log panel to end TeX more gently (using X or Q, I
think). Or you could try running TeX in nonstopmode.

As I said above, this should only occur if TeX is encountering a problem
while writing an auxiliary file - such as the table of contents. But
during normal operation (i.e., if you make an error inside a beamer
frame), there should be no such issue.

Sorry for the late reply.