[texworks] Texworks quit working (on windows)

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 19:05:47 CEST 2011

Hello Stefan!

Well, the short story is that the older version you linked to (r466)
seems to work.  (Further comments below.)

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree that the dlls mentioned by DependencyWalker don't seem
> important. At least they are nothing Tw-specific (nothing we link in).
>
> Regarding Python: yeah, the latest version(s) link(s) to Python
> statically, I think. A lot of versions before used a dll - that's what
> got me confused. So there should be no problem there, either. But if you
> want to rule out scripting (in particular lua + python) entirely, you
> can download the previous stable release, 0.2.3, from
> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/downloads/detail?name=TeXworks-w32-0.2.3r466.zip&can=1&q=

I downloaded this and unzipped it.

I set up a null path command prompt and successfully ran TeXworks.exe
from the directory it was in.  (That directory also contained mingwm10.dll
and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.)  It launched and opened up the TeXworks gui,

I then ran it from windows explorer (so that my regular path would be
in effect),
and opened up a TeX document.  It must have found the TeX Live installation,
because it opened up the preview window, properly typeset, and all.

(Just to note, the newer version (r932) still doesn't run.)

> About the startup test. Sorry about the file hosting. My university
> server was done for some reason yesterday, so I thought that would be
> the quickest way to get this program to you. As it's about 4MB, I was
> afraid that it didn't get through via mail. But my university server
> works again, now, so you can download it from
> web.student.tuwien.ac.at/~e0325258/projects/c/texworks/startup-test.exe

I downloaded it and ran it (from a null-path command prompt).  As far as
I can tell it ran fine.  It printed out 1, 2, ..., 9, and exited.

> HTH

Well, yes it does help.  By using the r466 version, I can keep using
TeXworks for the simple stuff I was doing.  (At least until it mysteriously
quits working...)

But as for the mystery problem, I'm still in the dark.

So...

I'm content to use r466.  But I am also more than happy to do further
experiments if it would be helpful to you all.  (I will say that I am curious
as to the cause of the problem, but it's of academic, rather than practical
interest to me at this point.)

> Stefan

Again, thanks to you and everyone else who helped out.  I'm happy
to offer myself up as a sacrificial lamb to keep trying to diagnose this
problem, if anyone would find that helpful.

Best.

K. Frank