[texworks] Texworks quit working (on windows)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 21:34:55 CEST 2011

Hi,

this is getting stranger and stranger.

To follow up on the dll issue:
There once was a nice program called "Dependency Walker" at
http://www.dependencywalker.com/ but this links seems dead now.
It seems that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256872/en refers to an
older version, though, so you might want to give it a try, load
TeXworks.exe in it (the real one) and see if any dlls look out of place
(i.e., loaded from somewhere else than C:\windows or the directory Tw
itself resides in).

On a different front, there are a few things I'd like to rule out in
connection with startup. Therefore, I've stripped the Tw program from
all the graphical user interface and retained only the startup code. The
resulting program is a console app, and you can download it from the
following link (for some time, anyway):
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/272564/startup-test.zip

Please unzip it and run it. If all goes well, it should print the
numbers 1-9.

On 2011-10-03 18:41, K. Frank wrote:
> To follow up on the python angle:  Do the other parts of TeX Live rely on
> python?  Or is just TeXworks python dependent?

Not that I know of. At least not in the way Tw does. But as Tw supplies
its own python dll, changes to other pythons on your system shouldn't be
a problem (at first glance, anyway). Besides, dll errors normally cause
some error messages, don't they?

Anyway, we'll see how the startup test goes...

HTH