[texworks] Syntax highlighting and spell checking

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Oct 2 14:27:46 CEST 2011

Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at ...> writes:

> Le 27 nov. 2009 à 15:56, Stefan Löffler a écrit :
>
> > I'm not a Mac expert, but Tw doesn't support Aspell directly, AFAIK. It
> > comes with its own binding to the hunspell spell checker. See
> > http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/SpellingDictionaries for more
> > information about the spell checking system in Tw.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > PS: Support for other spell checkers like Aspell is planned, but not yet
> > implemented due to some cross-platform issues.
>
> Yes, you can install dictionaries for TeXworks in
~/Library/TeXworks/dictionaries. You need to get the
> dictionaries in OpenOffice 2.0 format (not 3.0) and place the .aff and .dic
files in this folder.

> However, the dictionaries are not LaTeX-aware like those for Aspell (so you'll
get lots and lots of input
> underlined in red) and there is no GUI for customizing them (activating
recognition of LaTeX control
> sequences, etc.) as with CocoAspell.
>
> Bruno Voisin

The previous contributions from Bruno Voisin and Stefan Löffler also appeared in
the texworks mailing list hosted by tug.org.

Is the situation any different now, nearly two years later? I've just installed
cocoAspell on my Mac under Mac Os X 10.6.8. No error messages, but there's no
sign of aspell from inside TexWorks. I would like to have a spell checker in
TexWorks with
1. The ability to add words that are missing from the dictionary.
2. The ability to say that certain words accepted by the dictionary should not
in future be accepted.
3. Understands TeX/LaTeX constructions, including accents as in L\"offler.
4. Does not mark $mathmtics$ as a spelling error.

Thanks
David Epstein