[texworks] Texworks quit working (on windows)

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 03:40:07 CEST 2011

Ok lets walk this through exhaustively so we can absolutely and
consistently rule out certain matters.

Please try setting your path in the previously described  dos shell to

set path=

It will probably then report as

>path

PATH=(null)

Then try again to rerun texworks.exe

We need to absolutely rule out all possible dll contamination. I just
tried such a path statement and it worked for TeXworks to launch.

I have known of portable python type applications where an alpha or
beta or poorly designed application has actually, without warning,
copied dlls around the place for the developer's convenience or
absent-mindedness.

The forward slashes in the ini should not be a problem at all. {They
are however sometimes in TeXworks scripting (under Windows Xp at
least) when using system(), sometimes there, if the rest are / the
last has to be a \ especially for certain os dos commands to be
executed.}

If this does not help us, we'll use the Windows built in tools first
in the real machine, to monitor what is happening.

The first one is to check that your Virus software hasn't decided to
list texworks.exe as an unfriendly, if that has happened often the
virus checker will just quietly disable it from running whenever an
attempt is made, and possibly with no further visual information.

Check for any system security settings as well.  Windows automatic
updates have been known to passively alter things as well.

Then please open up your system monitor, on Xp I would go crtl Alt Del once.
And again watch processes, not applications. I realise from reading
the transcript here that you may have done some of this already.

First click on Image Name, and get them in alphabetical order.

TeXworks is a "start once" application, but what we want to check that
there is no other process (from all the installing and un-installing)
somehow partially starting TeXworks at start-up as that also will stop
you directly starting TeXworks directly. I know this will not seem
likely or perhaps even  rational (but I have seen such things) so lets
rule it out.

Scan the list under Image name, and see if any form of TeXworks ( or
TeXworks starter form TeXLive) is already launched.

Assuming nothing was found there.. (if it was, select it, and End
Process on it, and try to launch TeXworks in your dos prompt)

Now Click on CPU column header and make things using the most CPU
appear at the top.

Prime your dos prompt with TeXworks.exe to go,
then dexterously hit enter in your dos prompt to start TeXworks.exe
while carefully gazing intently at your process CPU column and see
what kicks in just before, and after TeXworks flashes past.

If this does not help, we may have to look at installing some process
monitoring tools, and others on the list may be able to chime in here
perhaps.

(I don't want to unduly trouble you, but if you do have a virtual box
with an Xp or other windows install running in it, please try a
freshly downloaded TeXworks portable install there, confirm it runs,
then try copying your TeXworks portable install from the real machine,
into the virtual box, and trying the copied version again in the
virtual box.)

And of course consider running  Malwarebytes or similar if you have
not done so already.

Paul.