[texworks] Texworks quit working (on windows)

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 00:42:31 CEST 2011

HI,

If you have not already fully tried this set of steps here (and I
could not tell from the transcript here) please try building on
Jonathan and Stefan's and others' points, but for diagnostic reasons
to firmly rule one set of possible circumstances out, do something
that should not now  be at all necessary otherwise.

But as there is still at least one possible external dll known to be
being looked for (Python), for diagnostic purposes, start a cmd shell
(dos prompt) type path, there you will see your whole combined local
user and system set path.

As once initialised, a cmd shell effectively maintains its own path
statement in isolation, write what you would consider to be the most
minimal path statement necessary under your version of windows. For
example on my system I would type:

set path = c:\windows;c:\windows\system32

Remember you are only setting the path for the current cmd shell, not
the whole system. If you are not sure about that, be logged in as
something less than an administrator.

Now try from that dos shell (with the adjusted path statement) try to
start the portable version of TeXworks that you installed separate
from TeXlive. Check first, for these unusual circumstances, that your
TW_conf directory is perhaps a full path, with a drive letter, in your
TeXworks texworks-setup.ini that you adjusted. (Otherwise you can use
a path starting \ on windows for TeXworks portable normally).

If TeXworks does now start, that would suggest (after all that you
have tried) in the first instance that after all some dll is probably
the issue for some reason, and a same named older python library is
possibly the most likely candidate.

It would be somewhere in that initial  path statement that you changed
away from, and may be from something else you installed or tried out
in-between TeXworks working, and then not working, and the main
programme may not even still be installed.

If that does not help, we will have to look at more subtle things, and
perhaps even consider other unwated possibilities.

paul