[texworks] Texworks quit working (on windows)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Sep 28 21:34:22 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-28 at 12:47:06 -0400, K. Frank wrote:

 > I am thinking of trying three things.  Both involve reinstalling
 > TeX Live, which makes experimentation somewhat difficult, because
 > TeX Live, to say the least, is not a fast installation process.
 >
 > First, uninstall everything to make sure I get a clean install.
 >
 > Then:
 >
 > 1) Try to install TeX Live 2010, because that's what people seem to
 > have working on windows. [...]

I suppose that most people are using the current version.  You can
only install TL2010 if you have the DVD.  The network installer
provides only the latest release and the repository contains only the
latest packages.

IMO it doesn't make any sense to remove TeX Live if TeXworks is the
only program which doesn't run properly.  It wasn't even necessary to
remove MiKTeX.  You can install TL if MiKTeX is present, if you remove
texlive/2011/win32/bin from PATH, you are back to MiKTeX.

Did you try to uninstall TeXworks using tlmgr and install it again?

If it's a DLL issue, as Jonathan assumes, maybe you'll find some
useful debugging tools here:

 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062

 http://www.dependencywalker.com/

BTW, TeX Live doesn't provide 64-bit binaries for Windows.  It is very
unlikely that 32-bit binaries behave differently on 64-bit systems and
nobody reported such problems so far.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25