[texworks] Configuration for English and Russian

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Mon Sep 26 11:45:26 CEST 2011

Johannes's suggestion to use Babel is appropriate if you compile your
documents with LaTeX.  For languages that do not use the Latin alphabet,
there are many advantages to compiling with XeLaTeX, which handles Unicode
characters directly.  If using XeLaTeX, you can switch from an English
keyboard to a Russian one using the standard Windows commands (Alt-left
shift to cycle through installed keyboards) and just type; assuming the font
you are using in TeXworks has both English and Cyrillic, you will see the
Cyrillic characters in your source file.  If you need additional support,
such as hyphenation patterns for Russian, then use the Polyglossia package,
which is the Unicode-based replacement for Babel.

David