[texworks] Message from TeXworks user

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Tue Sep 20 08:07:06 CEST 2011

Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2011, at 5:52 PM, David-Arnold wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Trying to compile this file. Compiles fine and produces the graphic in Texshop with --shell-escape enabled.
>>
>> Compiles but does not produce the graph in Texworks.
>>
>> How do I enable --shell-escape or whatever to get the graphic to show up.
>>
>> David
>

> Howdy,
>
> To turn it on permanently go to Preferences->Typesetting and Double Click on the pdflatex processing tool to open it for editing. Then add a new argument line and insert
>
> --shell-escape
>
> for the argument. Finally press OK. From then on all runs of pdflatex will use --shell-escape.

Actually I wondered why there isn't a predefined value for
--shell-escape. It does not really lower the barriers for a beginner if
they have to adjust command line parameters, does it?

> I know there is a command that will allow you to activate shell escape on a file by file basis but I'm having trouble finding it at the moment.

Oh? Never heard of that. Is it one of the switches below, obtained with

luatex --help

?

cheers
Arno

    --8bit                        ignored, input is assumed to be in
UTF-8 encoding
    --credits                     display credits and exit
    --debug-format                enable format debugging
    --default-translate-file=     ignored, input is assumed to be in
UTF-8 encoding
    --disable-write18             disable \write18{SHELL COMMAND}
    --draftmode                   switch on draft mode (generates no
output PDF)
    --enable-write18              enable \write18{SHELL COMMAND}
    --etex                        ignored, the etex extensions are
always active
    --[no-]file-line-error        disable/enable file:line:error style
messages
    --[no-]file-line-error-style  aliases of --[no-]file-line-error
    --fmt=FORMAT                  load the format file FORMAT
    --halt-on-error               stop processing at the first error
    --help                        display help and exit
    --ini                         be iniluatex, for dumping formats
    --interaction=STRING          set interaction mode
(STRING=batchmode/nonstopmode/scrollmode/errorstopmode)
    --jobname=STRING              set the job name to STRING
    --kpathsea-debug=NUMBER       set path searching debugging flags
according to the bits of NUMBER
    --lua=s                       load and execute a lua initialization
script
    --[no-]mktex=FMT              disable/enable mktexFMT generation
(FMT=tex/tfm)
    --nosocket                    disable the lua socket library
    --output-comment=STRING       use STRING for DVI file comment
instead of date (no effect for PDF)
    --output-directory=DIR        use DIR as the directory to write files to
    --output-format=FORMAT        use FORMAT for job output; FORMAT is
'dvi' or 'pdf'
    --[no-]parse-first-line       disable/enable parsing of the first
line of the input file
    --progname=STRING             set the program name to STRING
    --recorder                    enable filename recorder
    --safer                       disable easily exploitable lua commands
    --[no-]shell-escape           disable/enable \write18{SHELL COMMAND}
    --shell-restricted            restrict \write18 to a list of
commands given in texmf.cnf
    --synctex=NUMBER              enable synctex
    --translate-file=             ignored, input is assumed to be in
UTF-8 encoding
    --version                     display version and exit

Alternate behaviour models can be obtained by special switches

   --luaonly                run a lua file, then exit
   --luaconly               byte-compile a lua file, then exit