[texworks] minor problem of getSvnRev.sh

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 10:06:59 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-08-23 04:52, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> Well I'm afraid I've experienced that a revision number
> SVN reported and that of src/SvnRev.h were different
> but I might be wrong.

Yes, they can be. For one thing, if the committer forgets to run
getSvnRev, the are off, of course (but that rarely happens).
The much more likely (and common) explanation is that the svn is not
only used to track the sources, but also the web page, the manual, and
all GC wiki pages. Therefore, if some changes are made to any of these,
the svn revision is bumped, but there were no code changes.
Now, it's essentially a matter of policy whether to use the revision
where the sources were last changed, or the HEAD svn revision.
Personally, I prefer to use the revision the sources were changed,
because that allows me to see if a rebuild is necessary (e.g., Charlie
Sharpsteen recently merged his CMake build rules from git, which
resulted in a hundred or so new revisions, but without touching existing
code). Plus, it doesn't require running getSvnRev. But if you want to
stick with the HEAD revision, that's fine with me of course (now that
getSvnRev hopefully works).

HTH