[texworks] inconsistens because of help-files?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Aug 21 00:01:08 CEST 2011

On Aug 20, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
>
>> If using Windows and MiKTeX, you may want to use `texify`
>> instead of `latexmk` as `latexmk` is a Perl script and will
>> require that a Perl interpreter be installed.  Most UNIX/Linux
>> boxes come with Perl pre-installed or make it trivial to obtain
>> through a package manager---this is not the case for Windows.
>
> Personally speaking, I have never used (nor wanted to use)
> TeXify, LaTeXMK or any similar pre-scripted approach, simply
> because I prefer to (a) think about, and (b) be in control
> of, whatever set of activities I am about to perform.  That
> said, obtaining a good reliable Perl for Windows could not
> be simpler : just visit the ActiveState web site and follow
> their instructions for downloading and installing Active Perl.
>
> Philip Taylor

Howdy,

Do it a few hundred times and you might change your mind. There isn't much thinking involved to get things right and, in complex situations, there might be additional runs of things that you may not realize you need to do to fully resolve all the issues. Not only that, it's relatively easy to make configuration (rc) files for latexmk so that processing things for the glossaries package is automated.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)