[texworks] XeLaTeX Typsetting tool

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sat Jul 16 15:59:44 CEST 2011

Paul,

If I understand correctly:

Xe(La)TeX is the only option if one's work requires:
a) Unicode
b) smart fonts
c) the ability to use any system font

LuaTeX offers a) and b) but not c) (but may not be ready for all users
yet, as some other recent messages suggest).

Those who don't need these things can keep using LaTeX.  I have used a
great many LaTeX packages with XeLaTeX, and they have all worked.  There
are some out there that don't, as traffic on the lists shows, but they
are certainly a minority, a small minority if my experience is typical.

Others can perhaps speak to the scripting issue.

David