[texworks] dvi -> dvips -> ps2pdf

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 13:47:37 CEST 2011

Yes thanks Phil,

I was being deliberately generalised, it is hard to know where to draw
the line in this area, and you have hit exactly the area I was trying
to get at while not being specific on the detail of the thing(s) that
was being talked about.

There are definitely things that will "help lower the entry barrier" -
but as I am for ever finding for myself, if I don't have a sense of
what is actually going on in some of these processes, I can not
understand why something has  not worked out as expected, or how I
could enhance things for future better results.

And to that end I never hesitate to ask the most basic questions
myself to make sure or confirm that I do have a bit of a grasp of
things.

Perhaps if someone is only going to do one thesis or one simple
publication and possibly is on *TeX because they have been directed to
use it, then we should do all we can for that person to breeze in, use
Tw and be able to breeze out happily with their nicely formatted
document in hand - hamburger a la Mac Donald's style, instant no fuss
service.

Beyond that we need to move people to looking at gourmet burger making
techniques themselves, or we will be forever cooking for them :)

Keeping the entry barrier low, while developing and enjoying
"Extensible simplicity"!

Its a case by case, proposal by proposal, balancing act, or the
interface can beceom overloaded, even the default fillings for the
Typesetting Drop down box could become easily bloated beyond easy
casual and sensible recognition of what is in there.

In this specific discussion, if C++ developer load was ever lighter
for a moment (ha ha -- actually in fact could it be scriptable?), it
might be nice to explore whether typesetting 'processing tools' (Tw
Preferences Tab-Typesetting) could be savable/loadable as separate
units which could be wickied or done as an issue or something, and be
identifiable and downloadable as individual txt files to be loaded in.

Things like the following for example could be a named txt file,
transferable to other users,  and so loadable.

Name: XeLaTeX+MakeIndex+BibTeX
Program: texify.exe
--pdf
--engine=xetex
--tex-option=-synctex=1
$fullname

First two lines, prefixed as above, then third line and above are all arguments

Then individual recipes :) could be shared around.  Would help,
especially with more exotic hamburger tastes.

paul