[texworks] dvi -> dvips -> ps2pdf

Shailesh Ashok Shirali shailesh_shirali at rediffmail.com
Fri Jul 15 05:03:27 CEST 2011

Hi,

Thanks a lot to all who responded. I have now solved the problem using
your responses and the instructions given here (for which I specially
thank Stefan):

http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/AdvancedTypesettingTools#latex_-
>_dvips_->_ps2pdf

I work on Windows XP, and the instructions worked for me. Iwan, I think
your instruction works for some other OS, not Windows; there is no exe
file called "simpdftex" in MikTeX.

Stefan, I would not quite go with your assessment that pstricks "has
been largely superseded by tikz/pgf". I see pstricks and tikz/pgf as
being fully comparable, both in a very active state of development and
both excellent resources. But I thank you for your help.

Regards,
Shailesh

On Jul 14, 2011, at 10:09 AM, Stefan L?ffler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2011-07-14 01:05, Shailesh Ashok Shirali wrote:
>> A typesetting option I frequently use is: dvi -> dvips -> ps2pdf. (I
>> need it as I use pstricks.) However this option does not appear on
the
>> list of options in TeXWorks. (It does get created in TexnicCenter,
for
>> example.) Can it be made part of the default options in TeXWorks in
>> future release?
>
> In the past, this workflow has been deemed to be too advanced for the
> average/new user. For one thing, it involves two file formats (dvi &
ps)
> that many people have never heard of before and usually don't care to
> learn about. And for another, it is a complex, multi-stage
typesetting
> process that usually requires platform-specific code and/or scripts.
In