[texworks] adding luatex and lualatex to the typesetting menu

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jul 14 03:04:43 CEST 2011

On 2011-07-13 at 20:12:28 +0200, Stefan Löffler wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > On 2011-07-10 07:49, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
 > > I use latest TeXworks stabe (whatever version it is) on ubuntu
 > > and there is no luatex and lualatex in the typesetting menue. I
 > > added it myself but was wondering if in future versions of
 > > texworks by default luatex and lualatex are added to the
 > > typesetting menue too.
 >
 > In principle, this sounds reasonable. However, a few questions
 > remain:
 > - Is lua*tex widespread already?

I expect that many new LaTeX packages, which are partly written in
Lua, will appear on CTAN in the near future.  It doesn't matter then
whether a user is an expert or a beginner.  Hence, I think that
support for LuaLaTeX is unavoidable.

Regarding stability, I suppose that the unstable part is the interface
to TeX's internal data structures.  Things inherited from pdfTeX are
stable and Lua might be extended but not changed.  The luacode package
even adds an abstraction layer in order to hide some internals.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25