[texworks] adding luatex and lualatex to the typesetting menu

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 20:12:28 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-07-10 07:49, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
> I use latest TeXworks stabe (whatever version it is) on ubuntu and
> there is no luatex and lualatex in the typesetting menue. I added it
> myself but was wondering if in future versions of texworks by default
> luatex and lualatex are added to the typesetting menue too.

In principle, this sounds reasonable. However, a few questions remain:
- Is lua*tex widespread already?
- Is it available (by default) on all large distros?
- What is the benefit of lua*tex over the corresponding pdf*tex?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against your proposition in
principle, but I wonder if adding more and more options by default
benefits the (new) user, or rather becomes confusing (seeing how many
mails there were about TeX(works) not working back in the old days when
pdftex was the default instead of pdflatex)...

Regards,